Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Adjective guessing game

To make the point that you should be careful with your choice of words, I created a simple game to play first and then do a matching task. I picked 24 adjectives that are pairs in that one has a neutral or positive meaning and the other a negative one. Students first had to use creative descriptions and then negotiate the word meaning.

I printed out cards with one adjective each, but I noticed you could read the word, so I stapled some extra paper on the back to hide that. One student would come forward and make his choice. I would then show this adjective to the whole class and the challenge was for them to describe this adjective in such a way, the student would guess it within two minutes. For this, they used their knowledge of the word's meaning, but also of words that sound similar and of how this word is used in context. I didn't direct them or guide them in this at all; it simply came natural to them to use these varied tactics to describe the adjective. Most of the time, the student could guess the word within the limit. The original plan was to play about 10-15 words before moving to the matching task, but one class became so interested in playing the game, they insisted on finishing all the cards. Another class came up with a few words for me, to see if I could guess them within 30 seconds, in which I actually didn't always succeed.

After the game, they had to pair up the words in neutral/positive vs. negative. I guided them with this as they often chose opposites. After the matching was done, I discussed how your word choice has a great effect on the message you're delivering and they should take care not to use negative words in their speaking or writing.

In all, I believe the point was made more clearly this way than if I had just told them this piece of information. It was also great to see them getting excited about a simple guessing game.

No comments:

Post a Comment